We have forgotten the basics, relied on processed junk, replaced full cream with low fat everything, abolished healthy fats for highly inflammatory vegetable oils, skimped on nutrient dense foods, been exposed to GMO’s and environmental toxins, and abandoned our kitchens as we are so time-poor … and we wonder why we are not healthy anymore! We are surrounded by our nearest and dearest, work colleagues, acquaintances and friends and so many of them are experiencing one or more of the following: brain fog, joint paint, fatigue, eczema, auto-immune conditions, diabetes, obesity, heart disease, autism, digestive disorders, depression and anxiety, hormone imbalance, cancer, and many more chronic diseases.
There is so much we can do to prevent so much by merely making the right food choices. And it is not rocket science. Just go back to the basics. By doing the following, my husband’s pre-diabetes was reversed and my arthritis pain resolved.
Taken from Dr Axe’s website, in order for us to be “healthy” and prevent illnesses, we need to follow a diet that:
- Decreases Inflammation – Most chronic, modern diseases all have the same underlying issue – inflammation. Inflammation controls our lives. It damages our cells and blood vessels resulting in High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Arthritis, Inflammatory diseases like Crohn’s, Peripheral Neuropathy, Diabetes, Thyroid Disease, Stroke, Alzheimer’s, and so many more. Many people find it hard to understand that the majority of inflammatory diseases start in the gut when an auto-immune reaction develops over time into systemic inflammation. By reducing inflammation our body is better able to recover from any disease and a good place to start is by healing your gut.
- Alkalizes our body – an acidic body is usually sick and fat. The pH of our body should be around 7.4. Green vegetable juices like spinach can restore the body’s correct pH. All diseases, including infections, osteoporosis and cancer thrive in an acidic environment. By alkalizing our body, our cells can heal and become healthy again. We do need to understand though that our body thrives for balance or homeostasis and so it will adjust to whatever we are feeding it.
- Lowers Blood Glucose – one of the main causes of obesity and diabetes is burnt out insulin receptors. Lowering blood glucose levels by restricting your sugar and carbohydrate intake, allows these receptors to heal and start secreting insulin again.
- Includes nutrient dense foods – the food we eat today is not the same as it was 50 years ago, even if you are eating organic food. Soils are devoid of nutrients and if we are eating processed foods, there are no vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants or enzymes in them, so we are starving ourselves of good nutrition. This accelerates aging and is damaging to the body at a cellular level. By consuming the best nutrient dense, organic, free range foods that you can, you will slow down the aging process, maintain your energy levels, improve your brain function and in a nutshell, be healthy.
- Eliminates toxins – food toxins, environmental toxins, household toxins, cosmetic and skincare toxins are all detrimental to our health.
The ideal, healthy diet for most people would be to include equal amounts of clean (organic, free range) protein, healthy fats and low glycemic index carbohydrates (ie fruits and vegetables, not bread and pastries!)
Remove the BAD FATS (trans fats, soybean oil, canola oil, vegetables oil) – replace them with GOOD FATS. Bad fats are high in omega 6’s and create chronic inflammation throughout the body which cause diseases like heart disease, stroke, diabetes, cancer, etc. Good fats are essential for hormone production, cancer prevention, brain development, weight loss and anti-inflammation.
Change the MEAT AND CHICKEN you eat – feeding grain to animals that are meant to eat grass changes their fatty acid ratios and denatures good fats which leads to modern day disease. Pesticides, herbicides, antibiotics and hormones in meat are contributing to modern diseases too.
Change the FISH you eat – try and source sustainable, wild seafood, not farmed which are fed pellets. Eat smaller fish…the larger ones are not as abundant, take a long time to reach maturity and potentially can harbour more mercury…try to be sustainable in your choice.
Eliminate refined SUGAR and GRAINS from your diet, including white rice, pasta, bread, soft drinks, pizza, store bought sauces, soups, yoghurt, mayonnaise, tomato sauce, etc. High glycemic index foods increase your blood glucose level which elevates your insulin and results in premature aging, diabetes, heart disease and cancer. Sugar, gluten and dairy are also highly inflammatory for many people. Elevated blood glucose levels also increase your susceptibility to develop Alzheimer’s Disease.
Low glycemic index carbohydrates in the form of fruits and vegetables have high amounts of vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants that all slow aging, detoxify our cells, help us lose weight and improve energy levels.